All finalists will receive a commemorative plate and certificate
The top six contestants (those with the highest scores from the judges) will receive an additional mixed hamper courtesy of our sponsors
The winner of the 2019 Global Pizza Challenge South Africa will receive all of the above as well as a cash prize of R15, 000, a winner’s trophy and their name engraved on the floating trophy
How it works – Rules & Regulations
As with any competition, there are some rules, tips and guidelines to follow. Please have a read through the below points before entering and also be sure to take note of our Terms and Conditions. Note that entries are limited and will not be accepted after 8 June, or after the maximum number of entries is received, whichever comes first.
- The contest is open to any foodservice operator, owner, manager, chef or employee 18 years or older.
- Pizza recipes must be original, unpublished and must be submitted online before the deadline date of 15 June.
- There are no restrictions on dough, sauce or toppings.
- All finalists will be required to cook four identical pizzas in any of the following five categories: 1) Meat 2) Poultry 3) Seafood 4) Vegetarian 5) Specialty or Dessert
- Competitors must bring their own pre-made dough (be sure to bring enough!), sauce, cheese and toppings for four x 30cm pizzas.
- We encourage you to use sponsor products where appropriate, some of these may be available from the sponsors on the day of the competition.
- Transport your ingredients in plastic containers as glass containers are not allowed in the competition area.
- Bring all your ingredients in an insulated cooler to maintain coolness. Using products which are not suitably chilled will result in disqualification. On-site refrigeration will be provided.
- You must prepare and cook pizza in the competition
- All contestants will be assigned numbers, and a draw will determine who cooks when.
- Each contestant will have a maximum of 10 minutes for preparation and 20 minutes to cook their pizzas.
- The competitor is the only person allowed in the preparation area and on the competition stage.
- Advice or direction (coaxing) either in the make-ready preparation area or near the competition stage is prohibited.
- Each contestant will be required to clean up their space before presenting their pizzas for judging.
- Once cooked, contestants will remove the pizza from the oven and place them on the wooden pizza boards provided.
- The judges will grade the pizza as well as the work area (make sure you clear your table) using score sheets.
- Failure to adhere to these rules will result in an automatic disqualification.
- The Judges’ decision is final.
- In all other matters not relating to judging on the day of the competition, the Competition Coordinator’s decision is final.
- Please note all start times will be determined by contestant number and will be in sequential Each new contestant will be assigned a prep space, once the prior contestant has cleaned their space and presented their pizza for judging.
- The following items will be provided by show management: pizza peels, disposable storage containers, corn meal or flour, prep tables, small wares, ovens, pizza pans, screens, knives, dough dockers and induction stove.
- All travel, accommodation, health insurance, meals and pizza ingredients required to participate in the final are at the competitors’ own expense.
- Any possible taxes incurred are the responsibility of the winners.
- Prizes are non-transferable, and there will be no substitution for prizes except in extreme circumstances and at the discretion of Global Pizza Challenge organisers.
- Employees of Global Pizza Challenge™, their affiliates, advertisers, promotional agencies and their families are not eligible to enter.
- Past winners are not eligible to compete for a period of two years.
- All participants must agree to the Global Pizza Challenge™ Terms and Conditions