All participants who cook off in in the South Africa final taking place 18th-20th June 2023 will receive a certificate of participation
The overall winner of the 2023 National Burger Challenge will receive all of the above as well as a cash prize of R15, 000.
How it works – Rules & Regulations
Burger recipes must be original and unpublished and must be submitted prior to the deadline.
These must be submitted via the entry email address, on the recipe format sheet provided: https://globalpizzachallenge.com/burger-enter/
Finalist are chosen to compete by South African Chefs Association Judges, based on their recipe submission and competitor will be notified by June the 15th 2023 if they have achieved the final cook off at the Africa Big7 exhibition – Gallagher Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa 2023.
All travel, accommodation , health insurance, meals etc, for the final in Johannesburg are for the competitors account, the organisers of the National Burger Challenge only provide the platform on which to compete.
A detailed kitchen layout will be sent to all finalists closer to the event.
Please note, that all our judges are all qualified South African Chefs Association Judges. The National Burger Challenge organizers do not select the finalist they are independently select by suitably qualified industry personal. You will probably never produce a dish that has not been replicated somewhere in the world. Therefore secrecy, to the point of ridiculous, is not necessary. In the spirit of good sportsman ship, if needed, assist your fellow competitor if they are in need of help. It may be you one day!
Arrive one hour before your heat, this allows you to register and familiarise yourself with your surroundings. We understand that a competition before the public can be daunting. This time also allows you to attend the pre-competition briefing.
- Competitor must bring own buns or use or similar, sauce, and toppings for 4 Burgers.
- Transport products in plastic containers. Glass containers will not be allowed in the competition area.
- Bring all products in an insulated cooler to maintain cold chain. Products not suitable chilled will result in disqualification. -On site refrigeration will be provided.
- You must prepare and cook Burger in competition area.
- All contestants will be assigned numbers and a drawing will determine order.
- Contestants will remove finished Burger from oven/stove and place either on a wooden peel/plate etc. with nothing else. The burger will then be escorted to the judging area by a runner who then will describe their creation. The runner will then cut the Burger and allow each judge to choose a slice (piece).
- The judges will grade, score sheets picked up and table cleared, and the judge’s decision is final.
- Advice or direction (coaxing) either in the make-ready preparation area or in the immediate vicinity of the competition stage is not allowed.
- The competitor is the only one allowed in the preparation area and on the competition stage.
- Judges decision is final in all matters during the competition.
- In all other matters relating to National Burger Challenge, on the day of the competition, the Competition Coordinator’s decision is final.
- All recipes and event photography of contestants, and Burgers become the property of National Burger Challenge and may be used in future promotions and advertising.
- The winner of the National Burger Challenge South Africa will be announced on the last day of Africa’s BIG7 Show on the 20th June 2023 around 15h00.